Friday, July 15, 2005

Summer in DC

I am missing DC in the summer, just a little bit. Then I remember how miserably hot and sticky it is, how big my hair gets, and how nice it is in Hyderabad right now (oh, and how the tax on a burrito at chipotle could buy me a thali here, but I digress) .

One of the nicer aspects of DC summers is Screen on the Green. These are the movies for this year:

July 18 -- "The Way We Were"
July 25 -- "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"
Aug. 1 -- "Suspicion"
Aug. 8 -- "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
Aug. 15 -- "The Big Sleep"

I will be in town for the last one, which I'm extremely happy about, although it remains to be seen if I will be sufficiently de-jet-lagged to enjoy it. While I was looking up the schedule, I came across this reader comment on the Washington Post site:

Well Planned, Poorly Executed
Posted by chbaker on Jul 07, 2005
It's a great way to spend a Monday night in DC anyway, but how much better would Screen on the Green be if they occasionally chose a good, modern movie? It's not supposed to be an event for film snobs. How about A Few Good Men, Apollo 13, Air Force One, Election, Forrest Gump, JFK, Silence of the Lambs, War of the Roses, etc etc?

The whole point is watching good movies that you probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. If you want to watch Shrek outsidea, you should go sit in the backseat of your SUV with the little DVD player inside. I bet they're the kind of person who brings high lawn chairs that people on blankets can't see over...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home